Wednesday, September 29, 2010

We've Been Struck Again...

At least Auggie has been struck again by that bleeping stomach flu that we got from the church nursery. I documented our experience in my Felt like Dying a Slow Death post.

On Friday Auggie came down with a cough. Uggh. Yet another cold, and poor little Eland has a mild version of it too. (That's his second cold for those counting.) But a cold isn't a huge deal, we can handle that.. Fast-forward to Sunday afternoon when we were out with friends walking along a sidewalk, and all of the sudden Auggie coughed once or twice and then splat, he spewed all over the sidewalk. We wrote it off as a complication of his cough. A little vomit doesn't hurt anyone, right? Until..

Monday morning Auggie was sleeping in rather late. This is odd, but I figured that he needed the extra sleep because of his cough. Finally, I decided to check on him because it was getting unusually late. I walked into his room to find him lying on his bed asleep with a ton of vomit all around him on his bed. Oh no!!! I felt so horrible! The vomit was already dry meaning that he clearly threw up sometime during the night and we didn't hear it happen! I wish he had cried or something so that we would have checked on him and cleaned it up then, but he didn't. Poor Auggie also had a fair amount of diarrhea that day. :(

I called the pediatrician's office immediately and scheduled him a sick visit for that morning. The pediatrician was great (I love After Hours Pediatrics!) and told us that Auggie was dealing with two unrelated sicknesses: a cold and a stomach bug. He said not to worry about how much Auggie ate, and to just let him drink as needed since he was keeping his fluids down that morning.

Fast-forward to after naptime: Auggie threw up again. I gave him some fluids after nap, and he threw them up. Uggh.

Dan gets home and freaks out a little. Last time we got sick he had it the worst of all of us and ended up in urgent care getting several bags of IV fluids, so he clearly had a reason to be scared. He immediately headed down to Walgreens and came home with surgical masks, latex gloves, a huge bottle of antibacterial, and Clorox wipes. Hehe... Yes, we have been wearing surgical masks.

Yesterday Auggie improved a fair amount and even ate some applesauce, crackers, and a green-ish banana. (According to the pediatrician we saw on Monday, green bananas are more likely to slow down your digestive system.)

With lots of diligence and hand-washing, we survived through today. Auggie hadn't thrown up until... He begged and begged and begged for milk after his nap today. I decided that perhaps soy milk ("sigh muk" in Auggie-speak) would be a good in between... Bad thinking, Val. He drank a little bit, loved it, and asked for more. I complied and gave him half a cup more. And 20 minutes later he threw it all up on his high chair tray. Clean up wasn't so bad because of the location, but now we're back to little sips of Pedialyte every 10-15 minutes as he begs for more water constantly. I feel so bad for him...

"Mar wadar, peeese.."

...

I also just found out that another little girl who was in the church nursery this Sunday caught this stomach bug. Dang church nursery... Arrgh!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Val, do your church leaders know that kids are getting sick after being in nursery? Have you asked what their cleaning routine is? Is that the issue? Or is it parents putting sick kids in? Or both!

Our nursery just changed from starting at 1 yr to 6 mo. I haven't tried putting Anna Grace in yet, though, because I didn't want her to catch anything before her birthday! (Beginning of Sept she had a runny nose, I think from a 'kiss' from a snotty cutie at church.) I'm nervous about putting her in for that reason! Is that silly? (Well, I guess you'd say things were ok in Champaign, not in Albq, so depends.)

Hope your boys keep getting better and everyone stays healthy from here on out! Love you! af

MaestraBenefield said...

oh man. I feel for you. Ethan spent the majority of his first year sick with something from all the kids we're around. I just figure it's preparing him for kindergarten. I tell myself that he'll get sick less then... :)